Monday, May 6, 2013

DIY Tooth Fairy Pillow

We've had a wiggly tooth in this house for several weeks.  And last night, with help of a very patient dad and a very brave little girl, it finally came out!  This was Mia's first lost tooth and you can be sure there was a whole lot of celebrating when that tooth finally popped out!  "I lost my tooth" dances, lots of squeeling/jumping, and of course, talk of the Tooth Fairy.  It's a good thing I had whipped up this little Tooth Fairy pillow back when we thought that tooth might come out a couple weeks ago.

Tooth Fairy Pillow by Fresh Coat Of Paint


It was a totally free little project using scraps of fabric and ribbon.  Here's what I used.

- 1 scrap of fabric, cut into two equal squares (whatever size pillow you desire)
- 1 piece of felt
- 1 piece of ribbon

I did this at night and didn't take the best pics with my phone, but I'll try to walk you through the easy steps.

The first thing I did after cutting out my two square pieces of fabric, was to cut out the tooth.  I did a practice sketch of a tooth on a piece of paper...then I showed it to my friend sitting next to me and asked her what it was.   When she said, "tooth", and not "white cloud" I felt ok to move to the felt.  I free handed a tooth on the white felt and cut it out.

Then, I stitched it right onto the center of one of the fabric squares, being sure to leave the top open/unstitched so that you can easily slide in a tooth or note to the tooth fairy.


 Next, I cut a piece of ribbon to size and stitched it down on the inside of one of the squares.  I left myself enough room to fold over the unfinished top edge when I closed it up...but it probably would have been easier to just fold over that top edge and stitch it down before adding the ribbon.

Next, step was to place the two right sides together and sew the pieces together along three edges, leaving the top open.
 In this picture I also trimmed the excess edges after I had stitched the pieces together.  I especially like to trim the extra fabric on the corners, so that when I flip it right-side-out the corners are nice and sharp.

I flipped it right-side-out and stuffed it almost full with some poly-fil.  I filled up to about 1-inch shy of the top.

I couldn't get a picture of this last part because I need both my hand to hold it closed, but I folded the top edges in about 1/2 inch and then sewed them shut with my sewing machine (or you could do it by hand).

I forgot that Mia's bed didn't have an open post to hang the pillow on, so I cut the ribbon loop at the center so that we could tie it to her bed frame.

Someone was super excited and couldn't wait for the Tooth Fairy to come! 
At the last minute she decided to write the Tooth Fairy a note asking if she could keep her tooth.  The Tooth Fairy left her a note back along with a monetary prize.....after she ran to the ATM at 9:30pm because she had no cash on hand.

By the way, what are the going rates for teeth these days??  The two kids that have lost teeth in Mia's class both got $5.00 for their teeth!  This Tooth Fairy is not quite that loaded.  But we did leave her $5.00 for this first tooth (especially since it was a bit of a struggle to get it out), and think we'll be doing $1.00 coins for the rest of her teeth.  Am I a cheap-skate Tooth Fairy?!  Teach me your Tooth Fairy ways, oh wise ones!


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I'm 30, and I actually got $2 for my teeth back in the day. I have no idea why do much. :) My oldest is 6 and hasn't lost a tooth yet. She's not super into money and is more excited about getting to put it in the little pouch we have and put it under her pillow. I'm pretty sure we're going to do half dollars or two quarters per tooth. I think they'll be very happy wij that. :) Very cute pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute cute cute!! filing this one away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Ella got $5 for her first tooth and $1 for the ones that have come after. She has always asked to keep her teeth so she puts the lost tooth in a plastic bag under her pillow and then I put a note and the money back into the plastic bag. I love the little pillow idea! No having to fish under their head in the dark that way and risk waking them up. She knows the Tooth Fairy is me, though, and has from the beginning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a kid, the tooth fairy left 50-cent pieces, which my father JUST HAPPENED to collect. He would trade us our coin for $1. It was a thing. For some reason we weren't allowed to count my father's growing collection of coins...

    For Cruncher, we actually say a prayer to St. Apollonia when he loses his tooth, and we give him $1. I've asked the lady with Sanctus Stitches on Etsy to make a doll with a pocket after First Communion season is over. She was really excited about the idea, so I hope it takes off for her. I'd make one myself, but it wouldn't compare to her work. http://www.etsy.com/shop/sanctusstitches

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's her actual doll — beautiful! http://www.etsy.com/transaction/124921995

    ReplyDelete
  6. We leave $1.00 Gold coins, 2 the for the first tooth and then one after that. We also sprinkle glitter or "fairy dust" around the window sill and the tooth box that the tooth was in. You can also find First Lost Tooth Certificates online and fill them out and leave that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My baby girl just lost her first one 2 nights ago, she got a dollar and then she'll get 50 cents after that. She was more than pleased with her crisp dollar bill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the bird sheets!!! Can you please tell me where you got them?

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...