Wednesday, April 24, 2013

DIY Hooded Bath Towels For Kids

A few weeks ago I met up with a couple girlfriends for a sewing night.  These days, it seems the only time I can actually be productive at the machine and knock out a few projects is when I meet up with the girls after the kids are in bed.  This time I left the home dec projects for another night and focused on a couple of super simple things for the kids.

Jack is 2 now and those sweet hooded towels for baby just weren't giving the big guy much coverage.  Even the toddler ones seemed rather short.  My friend Katie showed us how to make our own hooded towels using just a washcloth and a towel.
kids bath towel from a towel and washcloth

I'm sure you've heard that if you can sew a straight line, you can sew most things.  Well my lines are rarely straight, but these towels are a great project for those of us just getting acquainted with a sewing machine!

*And as a side note, I would say if you are making these for kids ages 2-4 go with a washcloth hood.  For ages 4+ I would use a hand towel [turned horizontal] to create a larger hood.  Mia is 5 and this hood is a little small for her. I'll probably replace it with a hand towel hood this summer.  Then again, my kids have ginormous melons.

Here we go!  

Take your washcloth and fold it in half with the inside out, and with the large bands overlapping.


 Stitch them together with a straight line just under the edge.


With the washcloth still inside out, lay the open end over the center of the top edge of the towel.


Sew these pieces together


And seriously...that's it. 5-10 minutes per towel and done!  Flip that hood right side out and you are ready for bath time! 

Now here's the other reason I decided to tackle this project.  Our previous towel situation...
We had this great over-the-door towel hanger, but you couldn't close the door when it was in place.  So we've been living it up ghetto style with the door rack hanging over a towel bar.

We also had a complete hodge-podge of towels (none really designated as "kids' bath towels) that drug along the floor.

So I took down the old towel bar, patched the holes, and mounted a three hook wall mount in it's place.

A perfect spot for three sweet towels. 


I mounted the hooks a little lower so that the kids could put up their own towels after a bath/shower, but still high enough to keep the towels off the ground.

They are pretty happy with them and so am I!


 So...who's ready to bust out some hooded towels?!  For anyone wondering, I grabbed all my towels and washcloths from Target.  Where else! ;)


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. How cute! What a great idea. I will have to do that for the Crosno kids (what I really mean is, I will have my mom do this for the Crosno kids). :) Ella is too big for her old hooded towel and the boys could use new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Deme! They're adorable. Just like your kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea!!! I have purged a bunch of towels we just didn't need, and I am thinking I could do this with a few!! We love some hooded toweled little ones around our ouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of the ideas I had in mind for Christmas gifts for all the cousin kiddos for this past Christmas. So easy and simple, and they turn out so cute.
    Great job Deme!

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...