Monday, March 25, 2013

These days...

Let just air the dirty laundry, shall we?  My post for today is simply not ready.  Not ready because I haven't had time or a clear head to finish it because I've been battling my 3 1/2 year old with nap time.  For the past 3 weeks.

I think he truly is ready to begin dropping it, BUT there are absolutely days that he still needs a nap.  Which he refuses to do and whose screaming over not wanting to sleep promptly wakes up his younger brother who DEFINITELY needs a nap.  We're dealing with a little boy who is very sleep deprived and falls somewhere in between toddler and big boy. 

I know he needs firm discipline.  I know that he needs mercy.  Some days I'm just not sure which.  I suppose we all need both, right?   My kids are generally great sleepers, so I think my mommy pride took a hit when I just couldn't get this kid to stay in bed and sleep.  Hello, ego!  Everyone goes through bad days. Lots of bad days. When I finally just lost it in the middle of a fight over putting chapstick on his dry lips...he caved too.  I squeezed his arms and screamed in his face.  Ugly and loud.  He crumbled in tears and my heart broke.  I just held him and we both cried as I walked him to his room where his brother was already tucked in for a nap.

"I love you so much, Buddy.  Even when I'm frustrated and upset by your choices, I love you.  And I'm so sorry."

"Me too, Mama", he cried.

I held him for a long time and they are both finally sleeping now.  I think I will too. 

Can I bribe you to check back tomorrow with a jumbo post complete with cooking/meal planning tips, an organized recipe binder, and free printables?  I hope so!




Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. I know he needs firm discipline. I know that he needs mercy. Some days I'm just not sure which.
    This is the biggest challenge of parenting, isn't it? So well put.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we all have those kinds of days as parents...hang in there, the transition to no naps is sometimes tougher on the parent than it is the child

    Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got teary-eyed reading your post. You know I've SO been there. Praying for you and for your sweet Sully. Transition can be so hard. Just remember you can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens you. (I think Caleb is starting to drop his naps, too. In the past week, he's only slept 3 times.) I hope you got in your nap, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I feel your pain. This age is so very difficult to manage. Andrew is in the exact same boat and can be so hard to deal with. I commend you on your bravery to share your "not so perfect" moments with us. Helps me to realize I'm not in this alone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there. It will be a phase and one day you will look back and miss this age. A book I found to be very helpful is this one - http://www.amazon.com/How-Behave-Your-Preschooler-Will/dp/0142004588/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364263464&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+behave+so+your+toddler+will+too. I don't read a lot of parenting books but I really liked the reasoning and explanations in this one. I found it helpful to share w/ my husband too just a chapter here or there if I was trying to explain something to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deme, I have been there with both my kids more times than I care to admit, and then been racked with guilt afterwards. Parenting is just very, very, hard some days! I've no doubt that you are a great mom. Don't kill yourself over a long blog post either. We understand and we'll be here no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have zero kids thus far, but reading honest things like this seriously help me [mentally] prepare for these kinds of days. And remind me that nothing in life is perfect. Thanks for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Demi...what an authentic post that I am sure every mom can relate to! I remember being told once in a Parenting Class, that each day you start fresh, amen!
    xo
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how I can relate, mine are 8 and 12 now, but this brought back memories like it was yesterday. Please forgive yourself, we can only do our best as moms, and thanks for sharing so honestly and from the heart. Sending mommy support your way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's like you are speaking from my brain. I completely feel you.
    Bribe accepted

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...