Friday, March 1, 2013

Pinboard to Home: Painted Interior Door




The Pinboard to Home project for February is complete! Just six coats of paint later, we finally have a red(ish) door in our laundry room!  As a couple of you suggested, a grey primer probably would have saved me a lot of time...and sore shoulder muscles from all that rolling.  I was trying to use paint I had on hand and ended up needing to buy more paint anyway to get the right coverage.  Live and learn from my mistakes here - go with the grey primer!  Despite the simple but excrutiatingly long painting process, I'm over the moon for the results!

First, here's a recap of which Pinterest ideas inspired this month's project.  I was drawn to the graphic elements, contrast, and of course, color of these doors.

graphic design with electrical tape...would be great with paint too



pink chalkboard door

I came home with a jumbo sized pile of samples from Lowes (on a two for one sale weekend!).  I was really drawn to the blue-greens but the Mr. has this thing about teal.  I believe the direct quote was, "I don't like a color that can't make up its mind whether it's one or the other."  Stab to the heart I tell ya.  Teal is one of my favorites. 

Since the laundry room walls will be a very light grey and the washer/dryer are dark grey, a blue hue would have added to an already very cool feeling space.  So what better to warm and spice things up than a red? We went with Valspar's Berrylicious (the one towards the bottom)...and that it is!  Sometimes it reads more coral and sometimes more berry.  I love it either way.


 We used Frog Tape for the lines and got fantastic results! I'll share the detailed how-to on the lines/design next week.
 
We still have some walls to paint but I love, love, love this cheerful point of interest in the room!  We still have three different colors on the walls - green, tan, and light grey. I know the door will pop even more and feel more cohesive once all those walls go grey.

The view while sitting at the breakfast nook...

Maybe it's because winter feels extra long this year or maybe just because I'm a sucker for color, but I love this warm element peaking out from the doorway.  It will definitely inspire a fun makeover for the rest of the space!  


*I'm linking this baby up to A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Tatertots & Jello, and the Winter Pinterest Challenge  hosted by Michelle, SherryKatieMegan,



Hope you'll link up your projects too!


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!!!! Looks amazing! If I were you, I think I'd be finding any excuse to hang out near that door, just so I could look at it! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't change a thing about this project! What awesome results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautiful! But SIX coats of paint!?!? Holy cow! Great job, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dedication is quite impressive! 6 coats is a marathon of painting. I am pretty jealous of your clean lines. Maybe I need to stick my frog better but I never get lines that crisp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely surprised at how well it worked! I was really careful to press down all the edges really firmly before I started though :)

      Delete
  5. I love doors with some detail. I was going to add some molding to my doors in some type of pattern, but maybe I will just paint it. Yours looks fantastic. Great job. I would love it if you would share this over at my link party.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-link-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pop of color and the unique design. Coming over from TT&J. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...