Monday, March 18, 2013

Best Sugar Cookie Recipe EVER!

Happy Monday!  I hope you all had a lucky weekend full of lots O' Irish flare :)

My mom is in town visiting, so it was the perfect excuse to bust out my sister-in-law's sugar cookie recipe.  This is no average sugar cookie recipe.  No.  This is like perfectly soft, chewy, cake-like sugar cookies that I double fist and shove into my mouth in a dark closet before anyone can find me type sugar cookies.  And she said I could share the recipe with you.  Lucky ;)

Now, had I been thinking straight and not distracted by the three sugar scavengers begging for pinches of cookie dough, I would have snapped pics of this process.  Maybe next time we make them, I'll update this post with some detailed pictures.

I love this recipe for so many reasons.  Not only does it yield, in my opinion, the perfect sugar cookie, but it makes a lot of dough.  We usually make two dozen cookies and then freeze the rest of the dough for another time.  Awhile back someone gave us 101 cookie shape cutters.  We use them a lot for play-doh but it also means that we have a ton of shapes that we can use to celebrate various holidays via cookie goodness.

So, here she is....

INGREDIENTS
- 1 1/2 cup soft butter (room temp, NOT melted)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
-Cream butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a standing mixer or large bowl until well blended. 

-Add baking powder and salt.  Mix until blended.

-Add one cup of flour at a time and blend until the dough just comes together but is fully mixed.  Avoid over mixing.

-Chill the dough 1 hour in the refrigerator or 30 min in the freezer (don't skip this step or you'll have flat crunchy cookies instead of thick soft ones!).  I like to spread out a long sheet of Press N Seal or saran wrap on the counter, then place the dough in the center.  I work in any extra bits of flour at this point.  You can wrap it up like a ball but I like to flatten it out in to a 1 inch thick rectangular shape then wrap it.  It cools faster and makes it easier to roll out after chilling. 

-Heat oven to 400 degrees.

-Take a chunk of dough (I take about 1/4 of my rectangle at a time) and place on a well-floured cutting board or clean surface.  Roll out dough with a floured rolling pin to about 1/4 inch thick.  The thicker the cookie, the more baking time but the more chewy they will be.

-Cut out shapes and place on an ungreased baking sheet.  Ball up the scrap pieces and continue rolling out/cutting shapes until you've used all the dough or have your desired number of cookies.  If you don't have cookie cutters, drop balls work just as well!

-Bake 6-9 minutes or until done.  The time really depends on the size and thickness of the shape you've cut out, and how crunchy or chewy you like your cookies.  For soft, chewy cookies, pull them out as soon as the top of the center no longer looks wet or shiny (a sign the dough is still raw in the center).  If you like a more crunchy cookie, leave them in a couple more minutes beyond this point or until the edges start to brown.  It may be trial and error until you get it just right.  I like my cookies just done (on the verge of undone), so 7-8 minutes is the perfect time for my oven.  Smaller, bite-size cookies take 6 minutes.

-Allow cookies to cool completely before frosting and decorating, and allow time for the frosting to set before stacking them.


My favorite butter-cream frosting for these cookies is straight off the back of the C&H blue powdered sugar box.  If you forgo the frosting but want to add sugar or sprinkles alone, add them to the cookies before they go in the oven.  I always leave a few cookies plain without any frosting, and have them as a treat with my afternoon coffee.  Or morning coffee.  But cookies for breakfast is something I'm not ready to admit to.

The dough will keep in the fridge for 1-2 days and in the freezer for up to a month.  Baked cookies should be stored in an airtight container and will stay fresh for about 5 days.

So how do you like your sugar cookies - crunchy or chewy?  Frosting or dusted with sugar?  All this cookie talk is doing absolutely nothing for my healthy eating resolution.  Good thing we're talking meal planning this week.  After celebrating our anniversary and St. Patty's day, it's time to get back on track!  You know, after we finish those shamrock sweets ;)



Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I can attest to the fact that these are THE BEST SUGAR COOKIES EVER!!! One thing I do sometimes is use powdered sugar instead of flour when rolling them out. :) Yum! So happy Lindsay shared this recipe with us all those years ago. I will never try another sugar cookie recipe, never ever ever. And I will ALWAYS use the frosting recipe from the C&H powdered sugar box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I've also used this recipe to make sugar cookie bars (spread dough in a jelly roll/cookie sheet pan). You have to watch closely to make sure they don't over-bake, though. Way easy and fast when you need to make a lot at once. Spread the frosting, add some sprinkles, and cut into squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the powdered sugar trick! Definitely trying that and the bar idea would be a great time saver!

      Delete
  3. OOOHHHH This is THAT sugar cookie recipe.... I think Chrissy you shared this with me a while ago. I think I'll make some this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...