Thursday, February 28, 2013

How Many Coats Of Paint Does It Take To Turn A Door Red?

Well, I know it's not three.

The third coat of "Berrylicious" is almost dry on our laundry/garage door and we're still in more of a pink shade than red/coral.  My guess is 5-6 coats total will do the job.  Granted, I'm doing thin coats since it's a flat door and I want to avoid drip marks or streaks, but I remember the same thing happening when we painted our coral chairs in the breakfast nook.  Patience is the name of the game, and I'm fighting my inner toddler from screaming "I want it NOW!!!"
 
 
(this pic is at night via instagram)

So, obviously we went with the red from our little paint platter here:
(via instagram)

Sometimes it reads more coral and sometimes more berry, but it always reads happy!

It also helped me make a decision on the walls.  I planned to take the darkest stripe of the ombre striped wall into the laundry room (it's on the rest of the kitchen walls too). But with this bold new color in the space, I'm going with the lightest grey in the top stripe of the wall.  Lately I've been loving the look of light or white walls with pops of color and contrast.  It's the perfect small space to play around with that idea.

Hopefully, I'll actually have a RED door with some fun detail to show you tomorrow.

And did you catch this morning's post?  Anthropologie Giveway day!!!  So excited for one of you lucky ducks!!  Enter here!


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm so sorry it's taking so many coats! Frustrating! When we painted our dining room red in our previous house, the paint store recommended a gray primer under the red. Worked like a charm! We only needed one coat of gray primer and two coats of red. Hope that helps if you ever paint anything else red! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to a darker primer! I was trying to work with what I had on hand and ended up spending on more paint anyway. I will definitely be using that gem of a tip next time!

      Delete
  2. red is a rough color! My fave designer Sarah Richardson-says to prime in grey then go red. It helps with the coverage.Just like Samantha said. I too have taken the long road just to use what we have on hand. Can't wait to see how it turns out...

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...