Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Some Young House Love and A Touch Of Gold!

I just got the kids down for their naps and quiet time, sat down to finish up my post for today and realized I had a lot more emails than usual in my inbox.  That would be because John and Sherry over at Young House Love featured our breakfast nook on their incredible blog today!!!!!
 http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XIAilLtD2Ao/UD_rKS_sscI/AAAAAAAAD_Q/jBFK5g8QYkI/s1600/nook+in+daylight+008.JPG
Did I just type that?  YES, I did!!!  Needless to say, I'm feeling a little giddy and very grateful today!  THANK YOU, John and Sherry! And to anyone stopping by from YHL, thank you so much for hopping over and for you sweet comments!


Today, I have a super easy project to share.  Remember that hourglass sitting on my newly organized desk?
It didn't look quite like that when I bought it.

Here she is in her plain straight off the Home Goods shelf glory.  I wanted to bring both silver and gold into the office space, so we decided to spruce her up a bit.

I used some painters tape to block off a small section in the center of the hourglass.

Then I just used a small art brush to apply a couple coats of Martha Stewart's "Golden Pearl" metallic paint.  
I pulled the tape off before it was totally dry to avoid the paint peeling off with the tape.

Just a small little detail to give her a bit more character.


Anyone else "enhancing" their off-the-shelf- finds?  What's your favorite upcycled project in your home?


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats! Your nook is gorgeous and it deserves to be shown off :) I really gotta get some of that Martha Stewart paint!!

    XO Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! i LOVE that gold color! where did you get that paint?!...and what color is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it in the paint section at Home Depot and the color is "Golden Pearl" - I'll update the post! They had a ton of different metallics to choose from, all fantastic!

      Delete
  3. Young House Love is one of my favorite decorating blogs! Congrats, and I totally second that this is a show-off-worthy room =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just popped over from Young House Love and I gotta say, I just love your blog!! That gold rim was a perfect way to add some interest to that little guy :) I am your newest follower, can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    http://www.owlfawn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over from Young House Love, congrats! Love your blog, now I have another one to add to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's rocking that gold metallic paint beautifully! Ahhhh, the wonderful power of paint + tape (+creative minds of course!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel so cool for knowing and loving your nook (and blog) before it was featured!!! That's totally weird, right?
    Congrats on the YHL feature! The ultimate honor :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the feature Deme! Can I say I knew you when?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so awesome Deme! Congrats on your YHL feature. You are on fire girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great use of space! I really like the stripes... Trying to figure out where I can try this! Love the chair color and would you mind telling me where you for the fabric on your pillows? So pretty and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! They were a real mix of fabric, pillowcases, and a napkin :) The breakdown is here:

      http://freshpaintabq.blogspot.com/2012/08/pillow-talk.html

      Delete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...