Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Man Cave Progress: All In The Details

Our last project of 2012 (we're talking right down to the Christmas wire) was the Mister's man cave.   A series of small updates went a long way in changing the entire feel of the space. He (and I) couldn't be happier with the result!

Back here I talked about how the orange formica bar top and dark wood paneled walls of this room completely sold this house to my husband.  And how what once screamed "Man cave!" soon went to fam cave as we covered that dark paneling with a light grey/blue and the toys took over.  I started the process of turning this man cave turned fam cave, back into a man cave when the hubs was traveling.  I made decent progress, but there was a lot left undone.  My parents came out for Christmas this year and wanted to help get it to its full man cave glory.  I was totally on board!

We started, of course, with a fresh coat of paint.  I gave you this sneak peak a couple of weeks ago.
The new color is Ombre Grey by Valspar.  I had it lightened 12% and it instantly gave the room a rich, lux feel....without being too dark.

*A warning about dark paint (especially when painting over a lighter colored surface) - it will seem light as it goes on wet, then look incredibly dark as it dries only covering half of the walls, and then even out once the entire room is complete.  So don't give up or freak out in the middle ;)

I never liked our fireplace brick but the darker grey is a much better complement than the light blue.  It brings out more grey tones in the brick itself and the grout color.  Much more livable.  The wavy trim on the other hand - still on the to-do list.
[Hard to tell but that's a bunch of tinsel and our stocking holders on the mantle...it's a merry man cave :)]

The darker grey also looks so much better with the gold and silver accents we have in the room, like the curtains and these frames.  They now pop instead of fading into the background.

In fact, it just works better with everything in the room....



We got rid of the random baskets that used to occupy these shelves and found some better media storage. 

One bin for adults, and one for kids of our most frequently watched videos.  The larger bin (pictured above) has small DVD binders and Xbox controllers.


I found this soft grey basket on clearance in the bath section at Target and it was perfect for the kids' stock pile of Lego's.  You never know where you'll find stylish storage options, so keep an open mind!
Normally I'm not a fan of the "dump storage" options.  A giant bin for all sorts of toys will attract anything and everything, but for a multitude of one like item, it's fantastic!  Easy storage, accessibility, and clean up!

Another nitty gritty detail that made a huge difference was not only switching out the old beige switch plates, but the outlets too.  Otherwise, you wouldn't even notice those great oil-rubbed bronze covers if the off-white switches and outlets were glaring through.  Brown outlets and light switches yielded a whole new look!

Before:

After:


We even went the extra mile and spray painted the child safety outlet covers brown too.  My mom always teases me about obsessing over the tiniest details, but this one was all her idea.  I had to get it from somewhere, right?


We took down the picture of the Notre Dame stadium when we mounted the old school speed bag we scored on craigslist.  We finally found a new spot for the it on the opposite wall, adding some balance with the pic behind the bar.....although it still needs a few more things to really fill out the wall space.

Obviously we were in the full Christmas spirit here.  Once our merry candle holder is packed away, we'll need something with a little height to fill this space.  I'm thinking a silver tray with the Mister's Irish whiskey's. 

Another detailed job, was painting the hands on this clock.  They used to be the same gold as the rest of the numbers completely blending in.  The running joke was that we added a gigantic clock to the room and no one could tell what time it was.....not anymore!

I also found this rug on a Target clearance rack....the grey/white/gold colors worked perfectly with this room's color scheme.

The final change was to the overhead light.  We had your standard flush mount boob light in there before.  Not very nice and not very bright (sorry I don't have a pic!).  I was concerned that the smaller bulbs on the track light wouldn't be enough but these six bulbs are surprisingly bright and look great to boot!

Try to ignore the popcorn ceiling...


We still need to find a home for these items.....

I think the two framed pics will go on that blank wall next to the pub table....
These Christmas pillows on the couch were another sale steal.  At just $8 a pop they're a great quality pillow form and I plan to sew up a few envelope style pillow covers to toss over them year round.

We also need to mount a hook near the speed bag where the boxing gloves can hang at the ready.

 There's really just a few more things to do and this baby is done!   Honing in on the details...the right shade of grey, uniform outlets, balancing the accessories, stylish storage, better lighting.....all worked together to give this room a more sophisticated feel.  

We've gone from this....

To this.....

And now, this:

It's definitely looking a lot more manly around here! I'll be popping in later to show you some of the hidden storage we worked into the room.  It may finally be looking like a mancave but it's still a place the fam uses on a daily basis!



Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I WUV reno posts!!!! Also, my daughter wants to give you props on the globe ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the true "before" shot to share! And than your daughter - you can't go wrong with a globe ;)

      Delete
  2. I love the way the room is coming along Deme! I really, really, love the gray paint, especially with the brown leather furniture. Those media storage baskets are perfect for the room. Nothing like a basket to coral clutter. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks SOOOO much better! I really like the grey choice. Excellent decision. And I am in envy of your track lighting. Some people like dimly lit rooms at night-not me, the more lights the better and you just made my heart skip with those lights!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything you've done with the room... but my mind is screaming Paint! That! Brick! (think "move that bus" ala extreme home makeover)
    Have you had that thought? ooh, or even white-wash if you don't want to completely cover the brick... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to paint the brick before we moved in but convincing the Mr to paint over wood panelling AND brick was a tough sell :) We'll see what happens down the road!

      Delete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...