Friday, January 25, 2013

Easy Furniture Touch Ups

I was so excited to find a new desk chair a few weeks ago that had fantastic fabric, great lines, interesting details and was actually comfortable to sit in for more than 5 minutes!

I was even more excited that it was 33% off, dropping it just under the amount I budgeted for a new chair!  But that price cut was due to a large scratch on one of the back legs that you clearly see upon entering the room.

It was nothing my favorite touch up cheat couldn't fix!  
These wood stain markers come in a pack of three: light, medium, and dark (I think we grabbed them at Home Depot).   We've used them so many times over the past few years and they've helped spruce up dinged pieces of furniture in a snap.

All you do is lightly run the felt tip over the scratch in the direction of the grain.  Then rub with a cloth to remove the excess dye. 

The dye darkens as it dries.  Here it is after the first coat - already a big improvement!

One more coat and we had a pretty good match.

The groove from the scratch is still there but thanks to those handy markers, you hardly notice it.  A small imperfection I can live with for 33% off!


What tricks and quick fixes do you have up your sleeve when it comes to furniture?  Now if only there were a touch up pen for car exteriors....while I love the inner artist in my children, 3 giant scribbles on the car door with a rock isn't my favorite.  Just sayin.  Any tips for that?  You may spare a 3 year old from certain death if you did.






Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Ooohh! I shall have to try this. We just picked up another dining table at a great discount because of a few scratches too. Thanks! And I STILL LOVE that chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually they do have touch-up pens for cars! You can go to an auto shop like Napa and they have pens in different colors that you can match to your car shade. I don't know how you find your exact car shade, but I'm sure you'd be able to figure it out. Or those nice people at Napa can help you. Tell your 3-year-old "you're welcome!" from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Naomi! That is music to my ears...and Sully's. He kindly thanks you ;)

      Delete
  3. Those furniture touch-up markers are THE BEST and like you've shown here work like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew these existed!!! Since you're oh so smart in this area, do you know what can fix some small holes (cat claws) in a leather couch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny, I just pinned this link over the weekend for touching up scratched leather!

      http://mash-upchic.blogspot.com/2012/07/way-to-go-e-v-o-o.html

      I have not tried this myself yet, so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness but in reading through the comments, it seems like a pretty good option! EVOO or Vegetable oil - who knew?!

      Delete
    2. I used a very similar marker on cat scratches in my leather couch and it worked like a charm!

      Delete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...