Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Curtains From A Duvet {DIY - sort of}

Yesterday I shared my slice of the workspace in our his/hers office redo.  Oh happiness!

My favorite part is absolutely the black and white curtains...all thanks to a gorgeous duvet by Nate Berkus!
I'm always looking for unconventional sources that will give me a lot of fabric bang for my buck.  Shower curtains are great options but if you plan to use them for curtains, you will likely need to add some additional fabric to the length.  Enter the duvet!

A full/queen set measures 88" wide by 94" long.  Plenty of length for curtains, even if your mounting them at ceiling height like we did in our office.  Here she is, fresh out of the package and all laid out.

The other great part of using a duvet cover for fabric is that they are two sided.  This particular number had a pretty substantial weight, so I only needed to use one side for the curtains.  That left me with an entire 88" x 94" panel left over - plus the pillow covers!  If you have an extra large or wide window, you could easily create a window panel from each side of the duvet.

The duvet also had this fantastic piping detail around the edges....another huge time and money saver vs. trying to create it on my own.

To cut the duvet, I placed the top/smooth side down and cut right along the bottom of that piping on the back/pocket side of the duvet.
Then I took that panel with the piping and ironed the whole piece.  With a lot of steam.

I wanted even panels for the curtains, so I just cut straight up the middle of the duvet.  Then I folded and ironed the cut edges over 1/2" and ran them though the sewing machine with a straight stitch.

That was it!  We mounted them with a simple rod and clip rings.  Super easy and I am over the moon for the results!   



A special thank you to Courtney over at A Thoughtful Place for featuring my workspace today!  Be sure to hop over to her blog for all sorts of organizing, DIY, entertaining, and straight up home eye candy goodness!


*I'm linked up at I Heart Naptime & The 36th Avenue!
Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. it looks INCREDIBLE! you're making my couch workspace jealous!!! :)
    duvets are perfect for curtains! i made curtains for my sis out of some clearanced target duvets last summer and they look awesome too! so much cheaper than buying fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deme,
    Congrats on your A Thoughtful Place feature! Your office looks AMAZING! That's a fantastic idea to turn a duvet into curtains and I love that fabric. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. Have a nice weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Slaved over panel curtains this summer and vowed to NEVER do it again. The duvet seems to make life MUCH easier! I'll be keeping this in mind for my craft room redo.
    Stopping my from I Heart Nap Time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I gone both routes and this was definitely much faster and less stress :)

      Delete
  4. Genius idea!! It's so hard to find pretty pre-made curatin panels at that length sometimes. I never thought of using a duvet before! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog through A Thoughtful Place and am just over the top crazy for your drapes! I'm planning a make-over for my son soon and these are the kind of punch I need to get his teen room ready!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie - that pattern would be awesome for teen room!

      Delete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...