Thursday, January 31, 2013

Art And Knobs For The Bathroom


We have a 1/2 bath just off our laundry room that serves as a bathroom for us and visitors.  It was not spared in the great wallpaper palooza that occured somewhere around 1982 (I'm guessing).  Fortunately, moderation reigned in the form of a simple western wallpaper border.  Although the old vanity had already been painted white at that time, there was still plenty of work needed to freshen up this space.

During the Work With What You Have series, we took down the border, gave the whole thing a fresh coat of paint and installed a new light fixture (paint is the same Granite Dust color that's on the darkest stripe in the breakfast nook and the rest of our kitchen walls). We also painted and organized under the sink.  At that point she looked like this:

 

Today, it took me about 30 minutes to switch out a couple of knobs and brings in some much needed art/color to the walls!

I actually love these old knobs and am absolutely keeping them, but this space needed some color and a fresh look.

I snagged these babies from Hobby Lobby.  50% off made them just under $3 a pop!


 I definitely liked the color but wasn't loving the square shape as much as I thought I would.


A quarter turn to the right and diamonds just might be a girl's best friend!
They're a little large but we'll see how they work

The construction in this 1967 built house is pretty solid but all the vanities have this gap under the ledges.  Someday we'll get around to updating those too.  For now, we're excited about knobs!

And about filling some of that wall space!

I picked up these fine feathered prints several months ago (also Hobby Lobby).  The coral, blues and greens spoke to the color inspiration for our breakfast nook, but we ended up going with different art for that area.  I've been looking for a place to use them and since this bath and laundry room are right off the kitchen, it was the perfect way to weave the kitchen's color story into the neighboring space.

I originally wanted to display them in a couple of thin silver frames, but in a random Walmart stop I spotted these black ones for just $4.98 each.  Can't beat "close enough" on a dime!

We pulled out the mats, which double as a great photo props for chocolate covered faces....

And chunky monkey cheeks

I popped in the birds and hung them centered above the toilet.  I lined up the center of the gap between the frames with the middle point of the mirror.  

They are a welcome pop of color and will be great inspiration for the window treatment and accessories!

 I have my eye out for a narrow tray for the back of the commode or something fun and functional to fill that spot.

That leaves us with just a few more things and we can call this room D-O-N-E!

1/2 Bath Checklist:

-Remove wallpaper and scrap walls
-Paint
-Replace wood toilet seat
-Organize and paint inside of vanity cupboard
-Update knobs
-Replace, paint or make a new countertop
-Replace faucet
-Replace light fixture
-Art and accessories
-Window treatment
-Frame out the mirror/medicine cabinet
-Floors (paint grout for now and eventually replace the old tile)





Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Deme,
    I love the artwork and the knobs, but I think your adorable kids are the scene stealers in this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so the bird artwork is cute, but those cute cheeks and smiles... I think they make any room complete. ;)

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...