Sunday, November 11, 2012

Weekend Wardrobe: A Wintery Fall Day

Today is COLD.  It feels more like a winter day with blistery wind and snow on the mountains.   So, for our 9:00am Mass heavy coats and lots of layers were the name of the game!

I layered the dress I wore for the "One Dress. Four Seasons" post over a black turtleneck, and warm tights.  And then threw on a heavy wool coat.  Because I'm a cold wimp.
 I'm in love with this coat because it's warm, not at all itchy, and.....cost $13.99!!!  I snagged it online and on sale here.

Now, in general I would say that wearing tights or nylons with open-toed shoes is a no-no.  I think most would agree....

White pantyhose? :  wedding Lv Pantyhose Db


The exception to this rule is peep-toe shoes with opaque (solid not sheer) colored tights.  At least I hope so; otherwise, I'm sharing my fashion blunder on the internet and trying to take you all down with me.

When it comes to trends, we can embrace them in small, non-committal doses in our homes (i.e. throw pillows, printable art, etc) to avoid having a house that feels outdated in a couple years or not at all like us. We can take the same approach to our clothes.  The bold patterns or color combos of the season are great for details like belts, tights, accessories or shoes, if you're afraid to fully take the plunge.

Here's the rundown....
dress: Old Navy | turtleneck & tights: Target | belt: TJ Maxx | coat: Forever 21 | shoes: handed down from my mom.  Yup, my mom rocked these 4" heels for one night at a wedding reception...then couldn't take the pain anymore.  Thanks, Mom!


Hope you're all having a great weekend and to all those who have and continue to serve our nation, including the families that support them....thank you and God bless you on this Veteran's Day weekend.  To our fellow Marines, Semper Fi!

*Linked up at Fine Linen And Purple


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. I think you're right on with the opaque tights and open toed shoes. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tights - maroon!! And, the whole outfit just looks beautiful together. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, you've got the official word on tights with peep toes, I'm going to roll with it! They look great, as does your whole ensemble! Score on the coat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great coat and overall outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can so wear colored tights with open toe shoes. I love colored tights. I have almost the same color you do and green, grey, black and soon blue! What a great wintry outfit. Can't believe how cold it was today! Nice hair too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great outfit Deme! I love the maroon tights! Maroon is the color for the season I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree: peep-toed shoes with opaque tights, kosher. Not so much with the strappy sandals.
    Unless you're my 10 year old, who thinks such things are just fine as long as they're clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my daughter would be your daughter's faithful follower....she's also firmly opposed to hair-brushing and socks in winter. It's a work in progress here!

      Delete
  8. I am LEARNING so much from this meme. It's so nice to "meet" you and you are the 2nd participated to wear the wine colored tights with black and grey...I am learning so much, and I need the help. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning a ton too and am so inspired by everyone's outfits!

      Delete
  9. That coat is THE BOMB!!! I completely agree with you on the tights/shoes combo...so we're both going down, although had you asked me prior I would have been all, "Huh??"......to see it put together...lightbulb. Great look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! Glad to know I'm not in my ship along ;)

      Delete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...