Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Reader Spot: Inside & Out Kitchen Tour!

I couldn't wait to share this Reader Spot with you all today!  Thanksgiving is two days away (what?!?!?!), and many of us will be spending a big part of the day cooking up yummy goodness in the kitchen.  If I had Chloe's kitchen, I would be that much more excited to jump on our Thanksgiving meal!  Her original kitchen is probably a familiar site to many of you and with just a few simple (and inexpensive!) updates, it's now a dreamy spot in the heart of their home.  Here's Chloe to tell you all about it!


*************************************

I am so excited to be featured here at Fresh Coat of Paint! My name is Chloe and I am visiting from my own blog Everywhere Beautiful. I am always striving to create a peaceful, functional, and beautiful family home. Deme had the idea that I share these two posts to give you an "inside and out" kitchen tour. My goal is to make (as my blog is titled) everywhere beautiful, every cupboard, every drawer, under beds, you name it! As you may have guessed, I am still far from my goal, and I don't even mind that I probably will never completely reach it. I am just enjoying the progress so far and I hope you enjoy my kitchen tour!

Crisp white kitchen cabinets have been my dream ever since I can remember (I couldn't have been the only 12 year old dreaming of remodeling my future kitchen? Right?), So when my husband and I were shopping for a house I was specifically looking for a kitchen with potential. I was hoping for icky looking cabinets that were sturdy and in good shape, plus a layout that would work.

 When I saw this kitchen I knew exactly what I needed to do to make it look like this...
I have learned that there are a few very important (in my opinion) things that are often overlooked during a remodel. Of course there are the big changes like painting the cabinets and installing new countertops, but it's the smaller details that can make all the difference.


 1. Add crown moulding to builder's grade cabinets.

Before we bought our house I began to notice that cabinets in high end kitchens usually had thick beautiful crown moulding along the top. This is an easy change that I think has the biggest impact of any of the updates here. I also added bead board to the sides of my cabinets but that is just a personal style choice.






2. Stager upper cabinets

We raised the cabinet above the microwave and popped it forward a couple inches too. I think it gives the kitchen more of a custom feel. I wish now that we had also raised the cabinet above the refrigerator but that can be done another day I guess!



3. Cut out the center of a cabinet door and add glass

I had no idea how simple this would be! We just cut out the center panels then took the doors to a glass place (I'm sorry, I really don't know what else to call it!) and they installed a pane of glass in each. The best part is that it only cost 20 bucks for the two of them!


4. Add new hardware

New pulls and knobs give you a chance to personalize your kitchen a little more. Replacing old knobs may be a given but if your kitchen doesn't already have any to begin with I would definitely add some. When it comes to hinges, they will  make cabinets look fresh and clean (plus hinges are totally cheap so  you really can't lose!)


5. A new faucet

A pretty faucet will liven up the kitchen! I got mine at Costco for a great deal and it had all the practical features I was looking for.
 


6. Backsplash

We went with tile but there are lots of options. All the tile for our backsplash cost about $200 which I thought was a good deal but you could definitely spend a lot less and still have good results. Shop around for your tile, don't just choose from the selection at the big chain stores. I prefer a more neutral colored backsplash as opposed to a fun, trendy colored one that may not be trendy for long. You can always add color with accessories that can be changed out whenever you feel like it.


7. Remove outdated features
In my case I had one of those...what are they called? Appliance garage?

Not really sure. All I knew was that it had to go, and look at all the extra counter space I've got now!
 




******************************

Amazing right?!  It looks like a completely different kitchen and with such easy updates that pack a big punch!  I love how that coat of fresh white paint immediately lightened and brightened the whole room.  All Chloe's choices were neutral and classic, giving her a kitchen that will stand the test of time.

Now for the bonus - a peak at the inside of all those lovely white cupboards and drawers.  It's just as beautiful inside as it is on the outside...and organized to boot!

******************************


1. First up is the space beneath the kitchen sink.

Before
After
This is a space that gets used all throughout the day. It's where we keep our trash, along with cleaners, soaps and dish gloves. 
I started by cleaning out the cupboard and getting rid of any empty bottles or unneeded items.

Next I put down some cute contact paper I picked up at the dollar store. I love that contact paper can make the normally ugly space under the sink pretty!
I had an extra Antonius wire basket left over from when I organized my hall closet that was the perfect solution! It holds everything I need and can slide out like a drawer, so even the things in the back are easily accessible.

I also added a 3M Command hook to the inside of one of the doors to hang my dish gloves.


2.  In our kitchen we have very limited drawer space. There is one huge drawer and 4 tiny drawers. I have come to really like my giant everything drawer and I like it even more now! It holds every cooking utensil I have plus all of our silverware. Making sure everything has a specific place has been the key to keeping this drawer efficient. Again, I used the same contact paper from the dollar store along with a few wire containers also from the dollar store.



3. I have finally figured out how to keep a junk drawer organized! So what's the secret? Don't treat it like a "junk" drawer! Instead of it being a catch-all, be more thoughtful about it. Before I stick anything in there I think to myself "Is this really the best, most efficient place for this item?" and it really has worked! Of course my husband will throw just about anything in there but it's nothing I can't handle. If I happen to see something that doesn't belong I take it out right away. It has been great being able to find a clothes pin or pair of scissors so easily!

4.  Next is a simple one. I like to go through the mail as soon as it comes in the house. Most of it goes straight into the recycling bin but what about the rest? Here is our handy place to keep mail from cluttering up counter space.




5.  Lastly, we have some organized upper cabinets.

Keeping our canned food organized was always hard because the cabinet is so deep and I could only see what was in the very front.  I found these can organizers for a buck each (there are two in there), they make every can visible so I can easily see what we have. We keep the bulk of our canned food in a food storage room in the basement, so the kitchen cabinets don't get too cluttered.


Our spice cupboard had the same problem as the canned food but since the spices are so much smaller than the cans, I needed a different solution.

Now, don't laugh (Okay, I guess you can laugh) but I have been using a few spaghetti boxes to raise the spices. It actually has been working out perfectly!
















As for everything else in the cabinet, like with the junk drawer, it all has a specific place. It's easier than you'd think to just put the salt or whatever you used, back in the same place. I love opening an organized cupboard everyday and I never would have thought that it would be so easy to keep it this neat!


The more spaces I organize the more I realize how easy it is  to keep it that way.  Going the extra mile to make the space pretty is just more to motivate you to keep it nice and neat.


**********************************

Thank you so much for the full tour, Chloe!  How sweet is that mail holder?  Pull out drawer under the sink?  Yes!  Getting creative with spaghetti boxes?  So resourceful!   I'm completely motivated to go finish my half-done kitchen now!  What was your favorite part?  Let's chat kitchens!

And be sure to hop over to Everywhere Beautiful for more details and other amazing projects!




*Have a space of your own you would like to share?  Hop on over to the "Contact Me" page to see how to get your transformed spaces, crafty projects, or tips & tricks featured right here on the blog!


Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. haha! Thank you so much for this reader post and thank you Chloe for sharing!! We are renters and typically most new build homes have those builder grade cabinets. We are going to be moving again in June looking for a newer larger new build home. My theory is that I could ask the owner if I could do a cabinet makeover (not much money but some work) since we plan on being there a few years. I never was able to find a good before and after of the standard builders cabinets. NOW I can print these pics and say "see the potential?" Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the feature Deme! We've got a lot of thanksgiving craziness going on over here at my place so I just snagged a second to come take a look at the post! I am honored to be here at Fresh Coat of Paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great space - I was thrilled to feature it!

      Delete
  3. Oh my. Our kitchen has the IDENTICAL layout. Window in the same spot and everything! Although we are not really done yet but rather made it into what Chloe's before picture looks like :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still trying to convince the hubs to paint our cabinets. Someday. Love the bead board. Why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...