Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Day 31: Happy Halloween And A DIY Mike Wazowski Costume!

Happy Halloween, All!  

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I just finished Jack's costume during the kids' nap today.  Let me clarify....I didn't start Jack's costume until lunch today and finished during the boys' nap.  Talk about procrastination at its finest! 

My Sully Monster needed a sidekick for trick-or-treating tonight, so who other than Mike Wazowski would do?
 
Because of my extreme procrastination, I didn't have time to do anything fancy or logical (like follow a pattern).  I looked up a couple images of the character and some costumes online just to make sure I got the face details right....and then I winged it.  (I did see that someone used a pumpkin pattern for their costume, so if you have time to purchase something, I think that would be a great starting point) 

I started by measuring my little guy with a measuring tape from the top of his shoulder down to just below his bum (you want it to be long but not covering the legs, so their walk won't be restricted).   This was 16" for Jack.

Then I grabbed my green felt and had Jack lay down on top of it with his shoulders about 1.5" from the top edge of the felt.  I used a marker to trace the top of his shoulders and under his armpits.  I started cutting before I remembered to grab the camera but you can see this best on the left side.  I also free handed a wide round curve for the body on the right side and cut it out.
 

Then I folded it in half and traced around it for other side to get an even silhouette.

Then cut out the rest.  I wrote an "I" to designate this as the inside but the pen marks from my tracing made that totally unnecessary.

I took my cutout, placed it on top of another piece of felt and traced all the way around.

Jack felt he needed to inspect the work before heading to bed.  I don't blame him.  After I tucked him in for a nap, I cut out this shape and was left with two identical pieces.

I sketched out a face on the inside of one piece, just to get a feel for scale.  One I was happy with the layout, I cut out the eye and mouth.  Keep in mind that this will be a reversed image once it's flipped it over.  I snipped a hole in the center of the mouth then cut from there.  Same with the eye.

Next I took a black piece of felt large enough to extend beyond the mouth cutout.  It will look like this from the outside

I glued that to the inside/back with tacky glue.  I used a big white square piece of felt, then a small teal circle and even smaller black one layered on top of each other to create the eye in the same way.

This was a good start but the teeth are key.  I just cut a 1 inch strip of white felt, not worrying about it being perfectly straight since the teeth would be different sizes.

I started cutting squares from the strip using the first one as a guide for width.  

I cut a triangle onto one end (not making the tip too pointy) and started placing them in the mouth.

Once I was happy with the layout and fit, I started attaching them with glue one at a time, making sure to put glue on the straight edge of the tooth.


As I glued each tooth down I tried to place it just under the edge of the green felt.

Love that teethy grin :)

The last felt cutout was the horns.  These get attached to the shoulder straps.

Then it was time to sew!  I took the two green pieces (one face, one back) over to the sewing machine.  At this point, some of you may be shaking your head.  Can you even sew felt like you would regular fabric?  I have no clue.  I'm sure there are some specific settings for the machine, needle or thread I should have used, but ignorance was my friend as I just went for it.

With the two outside pieces facing each other and the insides out, I lined up the edges and stitched the sides closed from just below the armhole down to the base of the body curve.

Be sure to leave the bottom open.


The last part was the horns.  I placed them with the horn curving inward and with the straight edge flush against the top of the shoulder straps.

Place the straps together with the horn in between and stitch it closed at the top.

Flip inside out and check out your new monster friend!
My little guy has a big nugget but this fit over his head just like a t-shirt and went on without a problem.

 And this trio is ready for some candy!!!

 Jack's arms were smooshing down the sides a bit but he was really comfy.

Lookin' good, Mike Wazowski!

This princess was pretty fabulous herself...

And I think I could just eat up this little Sully Monster.  So ferocious :)

And they're off!


 Trick-or-treat little buddy!

Hope you all had a fun and safe Halloween!  Did anyone else attempt a homemade costume? 

*This post is also the last in the 31 day "Working With What You Have" series - we made it!!  I'll be doing a wrap up post tomorrow and sharing some new things in store for the blog!



Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. All three of them look SO GREAT! You did a wonderful job with Jack's costume. I hope they had a BLAST Trick-Or-Treating

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! I love the costume...what a great idea! They looked fab. Can you believe I forgot to take pics of my kids! So I am going to dress them up again just to be sure to get it. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great and you made it look easy! I love easy! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...