Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 29: Mom's Drop Zone

I may have shared a pic once before of this 3 ft span of wall to the right of our fridge.  It's a small, unused area of wall space as you walk into the kitchen from the laundry room.  You also enter into the house from the garage through this area.  

We've tossed around a bunch of ideas for how to make good use of this unused space, to include additional storage for the kid's play/crafting stuff.  But the space is narrow and since we ended up moving the play food cabinet to another wall, I now have a new plan.....  

 I'm being completely selfish here, and creating a space for myself!  But since it will help keep my things from ending up in random places around the house, I think my family will appreciate it too!

 This piece of wood in the corner is actually part of the old kitchen chair rail.

I had James cut it down to fit the space from the corner to the fridge. 
Tomorrow the rail gets a coat of fresh paint and the wall will be primed and painted too.  I'm planning on mounting 3-4 knobs onto the rail where I can hang my purse, the diaper bag, a coat and scarf or other accessories. 

This pink glass knob is actually an extra curtain finial.  We used the other as a spot for our daughter to hang her daily outfit, and I've just been waiting for a place to use the other one.  Since this spot is just for me, I'm going with the pink, baby!  

So, the paint, the rail, and the first knob are all things that we already have on hand - the perfect project for this "Working With What You Have" series.  I'll be able to pick up a couple more knobs when my spending freeze lifts here in a couple days!  Just in time for the paint to cure and us to mount the rail.  :)




Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Here is a link to some cheap knobs Deme, not sure if they are what you are looking for, but here ya go!
    http://www.mindysminutemarket.com/product_p/knb.htm

    Can't wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those are really cute - and totally affordable! Thx Stacey :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Deme!

    I'm curious about this spending freeze experiment you've done...do you think you've saved money with the month long spending freeze? and do you think you will go spend crazy (or spend happy) in November once the freeze ends (like a crash diet or sorts?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie - the short answer is 'yes', it's definitely saved us some money. I've also taken this time to think about how we spend and plan for our projects and I'll be doing a wrap up post on Thursday where I'll share more :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh I can't wait to see the final reveal. Mom's drop zone is making me a little jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...