Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Little Girl's Closet

Awhile back we shared our 5 yr old little girl's room reveal.  It was a l-o-n-g post, so I decided to save the closet reveal for another day.  Then I forgot.  Oops! 

I just finished up a little project to help us manage the constant change over of clothes for that closet (which I'll share later this week), so here's a long overdue look at this space!

But first, let's take a peak at what we started with...

This sad closet was begging for a better storage solution....things carelessly thrown on the top shelf....a pile of dirty laundry on the floor next to the dresser.....three bins attempting to control an out-of-control stock of dress-up clothes....and no doors. 
What did work was my childhood dresser that my parents had painted white, and I liked the separation of the hanging clothes.  That's about it.


I actually removed the closet doors because they were old and heavy, and more importantly, I could never access the middle of the closet or fully open some of the dresser drawers.  You can read about how we made these easy curtains to replace the doors here.  They're much more fun for a sweet little girl and much more practical for this closet.


 Open them up, and we now have a cheerful, organized space! 

We started by carrying the light pink wall color of the room into the closet.  The power of paint, I tell ya!  They we got to organizing...The left side of the closet now stores all of Mia's dresses.  James' mom snagged these slim velvet hangers from Home Goods for all the kids' hanging clothes.  Mia's are pink, Sully's blue, and Jack's green.

On the floor to the left of the dresser is a storage bin from Land of Nod that acts a hamper.  (We used some of Mia's Christmas money towards all the canvas storage bins in this closet, all from Land of Nod's "I think I can" storage collection).

All Mia's doll house figurines and furniture are stored on the shelf above.

On the other side of the dresser, is the another of the same bin we used for Mia's hamper.  This one holds all the kids' stuffed animals (that they don't keep in their beds).  This keeps our stuffed animal collection from getting out of hand.  Once they can't fit the bin, then it's time for some to go.

Above that are Mia's jackets and sweaters.   The large box on the top shelf is from Hobby Lobby and is for Mia's keepsakes.  The music box with her picture holds special cards from her baptism day.

We also snagged three square canvas bins from the "I think I Can" storage collection (you can check out how we added the fabric applique to the fronts here!).  They are much more durable than the fabric bins we had before, which were fairly crunch-prone.  When Mia outgrows clothes we send them to her younger cousins.  So, as we find clothes that no longer fit we toss them up into the bins - fall/winter clothes into the snowflake bin, accessories/shoes into the necklace bin, and spring/summer clothes into the sun bin.  Once they are full, I box them up and ship them off. 

That large bin on top of the dresser might be my favorite storage purchase.  It's the light green mega sorter and has three deep sections...it would be a great laundry sorter for kids, or in our case, perfect for organizing all those dress up clothes! Costumes/princess dresses are on the left, accessories in the middle, and ballet garb on the right.  I'm still thinking about something fun to do on the front :)

Overall, we are so happy with how easily we were able to organize this small space just by using the right storage pieces. And how much easier it is to maintain!

 One last time, shall we...

BEFORE:
 

AFTER:



And that's a wrap.

I couldn't resist ;)


*I'm linked up at I Heart NaptimeTatertots & Jello  & The 36th Avenue

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness how sweet! I just love how you paint the inside of closets. I always tell the hubby how wonderful to paint the insides of our someday home. He does not get it-but you do! The paint, the storage pieces, everything make a boring a closet into a beautiful small room. I just saw those velvet hangers for kids at Home Goods. I so wanted some but I keep everything folded so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet little wardrobe! I love the princess painting hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Deme! I love the bins to store the hand-me-downs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Deme! I love that sorting bin. I haven't seen those so I might have to pick one up. The bow on the curtains was such a sweet touch.

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...