Thursday, August 2, 2012

Master Bedroom Mood Board - Using Olioboard!

As we've shifted our plan of attack in the master bedroom a bit, I wanted to get all of these new ideas in one place to see if they were all playing well together.

My very first attempt at a mood board (or style tile) was for our shared office/guest room.  I used Photoshop Elements and had a blast putting it together!  But it took a really long time.  I'm still a basic Photoshop user and have yet to dive into more of the advanced options, so this was definitely a factor in my snail's pace. 

This time around I gave Olioboard  a shot.  And I'm a huge fan!  It was incredibly user friendly for this first-timer and has so many great features!  You can upload your own images from your computer, snag them from the web, or use their extensive image gallery for every room category imaginable.  It's very easy to resize, rotate, flip and duplicate images...but the mack daddy of all the features (at least in my book) is the tool that removes the extra background from your images with one click.  This was the most time consuming step for me in using PSE, so this Olioboard mood board for our master bedroom came together with much more ease!



And here she be!



We've shifted from a grey/yellow/teal/white palette, to an indigo/green/white color scheme, with a mix of modern and traditional elements.  Here's the breakdown...

-The bed wall will be the focal point in the room.  We plan to use our old sliding wood closet doors (I have a slight obsession with removing them) to build ceiling-height bookcases that will flank the bed.  We'll add doors to the bottom portion of the bookcases for concealed storage and paint them white.

-Three white frames (Ikea) will display black and white pics of our kiddos above the upholstered headboard we plan to DIY in a bold indigo/white print.

-We plan to install two small wall sconces for individual reading light at night, that we can easily turn on/off without getting out of bed.  This is pure laziness, Friends.

-We'll keep the bedding neutral with this Crinkle White Quilt from Target, and play with color in the throw pillows.

-We scored the large buffet on craigslist and it will serve as my dresser for undergarments/sock/pj/workout clothes storage and help to organize my jewelry.

-The blue and white floral fabric in the top left corner is actually a shower curtain from Target.  We'll use it for curtains and add a fun green panel to give it the right height to frame our window.

-I may be most excited about the sliding barn door I have convinced James to help me create.  It will provide much needed privacy and separation between the bedroom and on-suite bathroom/dressing area.  Right now I'm thinking we'll stain it, but a bold pop of color is never out of the question. ;)

-Finally, we'll have fun filling the bookcases with books, frames and other blue/white/silver accents.

Like so many people, the master bedroom will be one of the last rooms to get some love in this house, when I know that creating a sanctuary for the hubs and I should really be at the top of the priority list.  Either way, we finally have a vision for the room that speaks to James' traditional taste and my love for color and the eclectic.  We'll probably have to wait until after football season to get started, but at least now I can close my eyes and envision this until then!


*I'm linked up at  The Shabby Creek CottageWhipperberry & A Glimpse Inside!

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh pretty...and functional. How jealous am I of the built-in bookcases. And using the closet doors-sheer genious. I have loved seeing your style morph from neutral Pottery Barn-ish to COLOR, COLOR, COLOR. You are my brave inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am trying to put my brave big girl pants on more often! I truly love color and am always draw to it....in the past I've second guessed myself and have been a color commitment phobe, but I'm just going for it now!

      Delete
  2. Love your plan for your master bedroom. The colours you have chosen are so fun and fresh! Looking forward to reading about how the barn door process goes. We are hoping to DIY one for our tv room.

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...