Monday, July 23, 2012

Painted Kitchen Cabinets: Phase 1

We are officially pot committed over here!  The upper set of kitchen cabinet doors are down, cleaned, sanded, primed and are drying with the first couple coats of paint! 

We jumped in bright and early Sat morning.  The Mr. started removing all the hardware and taking the doors down, while I set up a work area in the garage.

I searched all sorts of blogs and google links on how to paint cabinets and primarily followed this one.  I started with the inside of the cabinet doors so that any early mistakes wouldn't be seen from the outside once they were back in the kitchen.

The first step was to give the doors what I thought would be a quick cleaning/wipe down.  Uh no.  Apparently, the former home owners had an affinity for fried food...the grease was so caked on the cabinets surrounding the oven that my cleanser wasn't making a dent.  I eventually used goo-gone to loosen it up and then had to scrape off years of sticky gunk with a small spatula. 

Cleaning ended up being the most time consuming step this first day.  After cleaning the cabinets, I gave them all a light sanding, using 180 grit paper.  I used a Swiffer Duster to remove all the loose dust and then wiped them down with a damp cloth.

Once they were dry, I gave them all a thin, even coat of primer.   Followed by 2 coats of paint.  I lightly sanded and wiped clean between each coat. 

I also experimented between a brush/foam roller combo and just a paintbrush.  On the first few cabinets I cut in all the edges with a brush and then used a small foam roller specifically for cabinets and doors on the larger surface areas.  This left a  fairly smooth surface and minimal lines.  (Hard to see here)


I used only a paintbrush on the last few cabinets and found that I had minimal lines with that method too...as long as I used thin coats and continued to do a light sanding in between each coat of primer and paint.   If you keep those things in mind, either method will work just fine.



What wasn't fine, was my sanding job.  We started with very grainy oak cabinets and the light sanding I gave them after the cleaning was enough to give the paint a good gripping surface but not enough to smooth those lines.

 
I'm giving these a couple more days to harden and cure before I flip them over to do the other side.  Once I start on the front side, I'll give them a better sanding to avoid those obvious grain lines.  We were also able to clean, sand and prime the upper cabinets inside but after seeing how noticeable the wood grains lines were, I think I may need to go back and sand again.  Sigh.....we're learning as we go here! 

Even though I may need to go back over a few areas, the paint is already making a HUGE difference in the space!  We also narrowed down paint color for the walls and I'm so giddy excited about the wall treatment we have planned for the breakfast nook!  So more painting and sanding in store for us this week.

So who else has tackled their kitchen cabinets?  What tricks and tips did you find helpful?


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting. I do love also to draw a layouts for kitchen cabinets. And for some information that's my job. If they want me to create a layout for there kitchen cabinets i will do some agreement first like we will talking the design they want and if i am done doing the cabinet layout, i will gonna meet the client to get the money from them and i will give it the kitchen cabinet layout to them. Things may easy right??
    Kitchen Cabinets Design

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...