Thursday, June 28, 2012

Vanity Reveal!

This sweet space for my sweet daughter is finally finished! 

I wish I had a true before picture to show you, but this one will have to do.  My parents found this vanity and a Jenny Lind style bed at a friend's garage sale.  Both pieces had a dark walnut stain, so my parents had them painted in Behr's Swiss Coffee White (along with my childhood dresser) and brought them to our new house in NM for our daughter's room...all the way from CA!  Pretty special.


The white paint did wonders to lighten up this piece, but it still felt a bit cold and dark due to the hardware and sea of hard wood.  It's such a charming piece and had tons of potential to be a really sweet spot in the room for our little girl. 

If you're interested in seeing the true state of this room when we started (think toy/book/pink frilly bomb zone), then you can check out this post over at our family blog.

We've slowly been adding girly touches to this vanity area over the past few weeks.  You can read about how we transformed this birdcage here.  It does double duty by serving as a sweet holder for all Mia's hair clips.


We also swaped out the matching wood seat for this upholstered ottoman, adding a pop of color and new, softer texture to break up all the hard white wood.  It definitely ups the cute and comfy factor!


We swaped out the old hardware for these adorable Pink Acrylic Pulls from Target.  Seriously love!

Mia's been asking for a "ring-a-ling" clock for awhile now, so when I saw this pink one 50% off at Hobby Lobby, I snagged it up.

The little green box holds two post-it note pads and a pen.


The lamp base and shade are also Target.

You might remember that I promised to show you where that DIY fabric covered book project was going to land, and here she is!  You can find a tutorial for the fabric covered book here.

In working on all those final details to pull the space together, we didn't want to forget organization or function.  What goes in those drawers and how they are used are important too!

The first step was to identify how Mia would actually use this area.  Not only does she like to sit here and play with her jewelry, but she also uses this area as a desk during her afternoon quiet time.  She likes to draw, work on her sticker/activity books and lately, has been very interested in writing note cards to her little friends and family....which I can't help but find completely heart warming.

So after lining the unpainted drawers with some cute scrapbook paper, we filled those bad boys back up with all her goodies!  The right set of drawers are now the home to blank note cards, notebooks, pens, sticker/activity books and a box with colored pencils and washable markers.





The left set of drawers hold her play jewelry, hair rubber bands, case with kid's CD's for the player in her room, and her Leapster. 


Here's a look at the complete picture:


It's a much more cheerful and organized space, filled with things Mia loves to do.  She can easily manage this area and clean up after writing notes, creating, playing or dressing up in a fabulous outfit.  She loves having such special things in her room and the whole area feels sort of magical.  A lot like her. 






So, how about a good "Before" and "After"?

First the "Before":

Cute, but a bit sterile.


And "After":
Light, bright and happy!

A super sweet spot for a super sweet little girl. 

After seeing her new vanity setup, Mia asked if she could send an "invitation" to her friends for a summer playdate.  You got it, Princess.


*I'm linked up at A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Organize And Decorate Everything, The 36th Avenue, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Tatertots And Jello  I Heart Nap Time, My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaThe Dedicated HouseHomestead SimpleWatch Out, Martha! & The Shabby Nest!



Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. I love this space. What a beautiful vignette! And yet so functional. Truly you have a talent for the finishes touches-one I am still trying to harness. Good job! And that sweet little Mia looks right at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deme, it turned out so nice! I Love it! Please ask Mia, if Cousin Stacey writes here a letter, if she'll sit in her new space and write me back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She would love to! And I'm sure she would love the idea of a pen pal :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Deme, I just found you from The Shabby Nest linky - nice to meet you! You did a great job on this! I'd love to include it in my blog on kids decor. Please email me with a quick "ok" PlayfulDecor (at)gmail (dot)com. I'd also like to include the birdcage in my accessories section. I'm off to look at more....! Talk soon, Nan
    www.PlayfulDecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nan! I'll shoot you an email here shortly!

      Delete
  4. What a sweet vanity. So pretty and girly! Thanks for linking to the Home Decor and Organizing Link party. I featured this today. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great vanity and I adore the birdcage! Well done. Visiting from Sundae Scoop. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live on Monday at 8am CST. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Come join the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn - I love a great link party ;) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. It's Party Time over at Debt Free Mommy Blog and you are invited! Please come link up anything related to making your space better at http://debtfreemommyblog.blogspot.com/ and mark your calendars for every Making Space Mondays linky party. The fun begins at 9:00 pm tonight. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet makeover! The pull knobs are lovely! :) Please come hang out and link up to our link party "Home is Where the Heart is" Please feel free to link up any posts you might want to share! :)
    http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-3/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed seeing this makeover. I am about to begin a bedroom makeover for my three-year-old granddaughter turning her nursery into a big girl room.

    I have a French Provincial twin bed, a dresser and a bedside table that I will be painting for her to begin the process.

    Love your ideas!

    Small House / Big Sky Donna
    http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have some wonderful pieces to get you started! It's been so much fun to create a "big girl" room for our daughter....enjoy creating a sweet space for your granddaughter!

      Delete
  10. I love this! Great job. I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where is the cute yellow ottoman from? Darling room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary - the ottoman is from Target. I haven't seen them in stores recently but I think they still sell them online!

      Delete
  12. Where are the butterflies from? and what did you use to hang them up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lory! I found the butterflies on the end caps in the flower section of Michael's this past spring. You can see how we mounted them here:

      http://freshpaintabq.blogspot.com/2012/05/butterfly-focal-wall.html

      Delete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...