Thursday, May 3, 2012

What To Do With A Birdcage?

I know I've been working on this project for awhile now.  It's one that should have been super easy and super quick but ended up being super longer-than-necessary.  At least it's done! 

If you remember, we started with a plain white birdcage I snagged on clearance.  I thought it would be a fun addition to my daughter's room.  However, it had a few dings to the paint and it looked a bit dingy against Mia's white furniture. 


I decided to give it a colorful coat of green spray paint, to break up all the white in the room.  I learned a lesson in patience when it comes to drying time for paint (you can read about dry vs. cured here), and after fixing my mistake I was finally left with this...


I love its charming quality and the pop of color it adds to the space!


But what can you do with a birdcage?  Other than just look cute, of course.  For this girl, it's the perfect solution for corralling all of her hair clips! 


We are growing out her bangs and are constantly using clips...and constantly losing them. We had them in a little drawer in the bathroom, but it was too accessible for curious little brother fingers.  We are also trying to give Mia more private space that is off limits for the boys and her vanity is one of those areas.  So this was a great solution for keeping them out of reach and all in one place.


She can also open the lid and keep her brush, comb and small box of rubber bands inside.


So, not only is the birdcage an adorable accessory in and of itself, it can absolutely serve a purpose too!

We are doing a major overhaul in this room...cleaning out toys/clothes/books, bringing in better storage solutions,  and paring down in an effort to simplify.  It's also giving us a chance to think about what accessories we want to keep and what new ones to bring in....those that serve a dual purpose of cute and functional are icing on the cake.  The whimsy and function of this piece is exactly the direction we want to go!


How about you? Find any unique purposes for an otherwise "useless" piece?  How are you combining decor with function?   


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. It turned out so cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That look so sweet in that space!!!

    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cute. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/tangerine-toner-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi - off to check out your site!

      Delete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...